42 / π ≈ 13.37

Wiimote Whiteboard

This program allows you to use the Wii Remote (Wiimote) to turn any surface into a Low-Cost Interactive Whiteboard. It is based on Johnny Lee’s original WiimoteWhiteboard program that is written in C# and available for Windows only. My program uses Java to allow for (some) platform-independence. I also provide a Mac-only version since I’m a Mac user and this is, up to my knowledge, currently the only such program for the Mac. For Windows only, Boon Jin has enhanced Johnny’s software and created the shareware program Smoothboard. There is also a SourceForge project that provides other implementations, but it is not getting much attention.

Check out the video and the other cool projects at Johnny Lee’s page if you have no idea what I’m talking about :) .

Features in a nutshell

• Open source
  • Runs on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux
  • Simple User Interface available in English, Estonian, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovene, and Spanish
  • Camera Monitor and Calibration Details for better Wiimote placement
  • Auto-connects up to 2 Wiimotes
  • Right-click support, double-click assistance
  • Mouse cursor smoothing
  • Screen selection
  • Touchpad Mode
  • Update notification
  • TUIO/OSC support for multitouch applications

More details in the Wiki.

Download (1.0.3)

Video

Documentation & Support

You can post your comments, bug reports, feature requests, etc. at the bottom of this page. The latest documentation is available in the Wiki. You can also find out how you can help.

The wiimoteproject.com forums are a great resource for everything Wiimote. You may use this subforum to discuss everything related to my software. The Smoothboard Wiki also contains useful information for setting up your interactive whiteboard.

Infrared pens

You need a source of infrared (IR) light to use the software. Many people build their own IR pens for that purpose, usually by retrofitting some sort of marker. You’ll find all you need to know here. I started with a simple IR pen made from a battery clip.

There are also IR pens for sale if you don’t want to build one yourself. Several vendors sell different models, the IR Pen marketplace is a good place to get an overview.

You can use the coupon code uwe if you buy from IRPensOnline.com. This will give you a discount of $2 and I’ll get $1.

Compatibility

I only heard of few problems on Mac OS X, using the built-in stack. I also got reports from users who got the program running on Windows using either the Widcomm or BlueSoleil stack. It seems like Widcomm works better, see this post about BlueSoleil. You need to use the BlueZ stack on Linux, see the Wiki or this post for further instructions.

Issue on PowerPC Macs (excerpt from the WiiRemoteJ-README):

Note for Mac OS X PowerPC (PPC) users: you will have to delete the Wii Remote from your previous devices list in System Preferences->Bluetooth->Devices after each connection (every time you connect a given Wii Remote). Even then, the outgoing connection will still fail every other time. There is some sort of bug relating to HCI devices and Apple’s library. Luckily, it was fixed for the Intel Macs.

Further details can be found in the Wiki or the help files bundled with the application.

1,428 Responses

1. Dayle says:

Thanks again Jim,

I have repartitioned drives to use puppy linux on a windows machine, so I know it can be done, but I think it’ll erase my current OS drives when I restructure the internal HDD. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to solve that as the software comes from an educational “lease”. If I need Lion re-installed on here, I’d just be sending it back to them to re-do it. That would hit a brick wall. If I just go back to snow leopard, I’m worried I’ll lose some of the drivers. (?).

I’m not to sure about installing it from an external drive… That may be the way to go… I’ll keep digging in the meantime. Cheers for that!

2. cluseau says:

please tell me how to open your application in windows I am not able to run the app

3. MacinTurner says:

Hello Uwe,

I have been doing some research trying to see if Apple had released any information about a bluetooth stack fix for wiimote. What I cam across was Remote Buddy. The developer claims to have to fix for the bluetooth stack. The application has a 30 day free trial. I personally do not have a setup to try it with as I have not yet invested since you do not have a work around. I dug a little deeper and the developer Felix mentions that he works with competitors to help them with their own work arounds for the issue.

I do not know if that will help you with your code but may be worth investigating.

I wish you luck,

MacinTurner

4. Uwe says:

Hi everybody,

I finally installed Mountain Lion yesterday and found a quick (but hopefully temporary) fix to enable my application to run on it. I actually didn’t change the application, only the way it is started. You can download this additional package here. If it works as planned, it should successfully start the WiimoteWhiteboard application that you have already installed.

Please note that this is experimental and couldn’t fully be tested since I don’t have a Wiimote with me at the moment. Hence, please do let me know if this works for you.

Uwe

5. Mike says: in reply to Uwe

On Mountain Lion Wiimote successfully starts with your script.
    But it doesn’t recognize my wiimote. I see it connect on my system panel but wiimotewhiteboard does not see it.

6. Uwe says: in reply to Mike

Hi Mike,

please check the log in the application and tell me what you see there.
    Also, you should not connect the Wiimote via the System Preferences panel.

Uwe

7. Mike says: in reply to Uwe

Ok, now it works.. I disconnect Wiimote from system preferences panel and now everythings works fine. Thank you.

8. Malcolm Langille says:

The command script works! Thank you Uwe :)

9. Dimitri says:

I’m finding that the script works (Wiimote Whiteboard starts up and my Wiimote Remote connects), but I’m disconnected after 10 seconds. Any tips?

10. Uwe says: in reply to Dimitri

I tested the script today and didn’t have any disconnection problems.

11. Howard says:

Has anyone made whiteboard software for iPads?

12. Michael says:

Hello,

today i test my new “Whiteboard”. On my Notebook is Windows 7 64-bit installed. I install Java-32, change the path in the batch-file and start.

But my Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR was not found

Do you know a workaround?

13. miloudi says:

hi everybody,
    how i can run the source-code with netBeans
    thanks.

14. Andres Leon-Geyer says: in reply to Uwe

Thank you so much, Uwe, for this work you do, the invest of your time helping so much people you don’t know (and who nevertheless are often quite demanding). Tausend Dank.

15. Andres Leon-Geyer says:

Just a detail to prevent users like me: the script will collapse if bluetooth isn’t on.

16. Olm-e says:

any news about a linux (ubuntu/debian) working version lately (2012) ?
    it would be really usefull,
    thanks for the attention and the work,

17. Meena says: in reply to Simon B.

Thank so much for this app! wondering if annyoe can give me some assistance with calibrating. I tried the last two versions of the wiimote whiteboard ( OS X build wiimote whiteboard.app), using OSX 10.5.6. I have a modded mini flashlight which i took out the LED and replaced it with the IR from radioshack, also have a fingerlight, which the LED has also been replaced with the IR LED. Not any kind of luck calibrating. tried many different positions, many different angles, with a 20in flatscreen monitor, the builtin 13.3 in macbook c2d screen, a sanyo pro xtrax projector no luck, the IR definately works, usually i use the wii remote with OSCulator, and it work fine, with wiimote whiteboard, when i use the IR camera view i can see the IR dot steadily moving around following my movement. but when I try to calibrate it it just never works Calibration usually, Ill hover the IR over the first target in the upper left corner, most of the time it will not trigger the checkmark and move to the next target. If it does, then all of the targets will appear with checks then thn immediately returns to the regular screen. Anybody have any experience with this calibration, maybe some tips, tricks, things i can try have spent about 5 or so hours trying to get this to work without any luck

18. Lale says: in reply to Uwe

Hi, I also got the Error sending data! once today. I loeokd around the and found this:* * Right now errors message are simply forwarded to the GUI. The reason for that is they would otherwise be unnoticed and the user has no idea what’s going on. I cannot really do anything against these errors since they come from libraries that I just use. I can only change my program to behave more nicely when they occur. Instead of displaying a blocking error message there could be an Error Log Window or something like that. In case of severe errors the program could gracefully reset itself to initial state or do a reconnect (I have to investigate into that). Other suggestions?More info: the previous release did not have this problem. Also, when run with BlueCove debug enabled, nothing appears abnormal.I guess that’s because all errors were simply ignored This happens consistently 60 seconds after the wiimote connects. Does the code do a status check on the wiimote then?Yes, I do a status check every minute to update the battery level. Does the program work normally until the error occurs?Uwe

19. Amanda says:

Hi Uwe!
    Your script works, but it doesn’t recognize the wiimote, and I don’t think to have it in my system panel.
    In the log I read:

FINE 23:50:17 WiiRemoteJ: Found Amanda (00194F7273FC)
    FINE 23:50:17 WiiRemoteJ: Amanda is NOT a known device.

What does it mean?

20. Amanda says:

And “Amanda” was my mobile, so in the log I can’t read anything…

21. ouam says:

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for OS X.8 ?

Thanks

22. ouam says: in reply to ouam

Works great with OS X.8 !

Thanks Uwe ! The command script works !
    A little latency… but it’s fine !

23. sean says:

would your software work with a usb connected infra red camera?

24. Mary says:

Hi,

Has anyone been able to make it work on Windows 7?

Thanks!

25. Sarah says:

I’ve been using your software for the past couple years and since I’ve upgraded to OS10.7.5 it seems I’ve hit a dead end with the screen turning black every time I calibrate. I read that this was a problem had by other users back in August, but I thought the most recent patch code would fix, but it is still the same. Any idea on what the problem may be and when it will be fixed? I have many followers on my website wondering the same thing!
    Thanks!

26. waheed says: in reply to Sarah

you can help me mam.my name is waheed and i want to make a interactive projector i need sequence and block diagram for it please mail it to me.

i will be very thankful to you.

waheed akhtar pakistan

waheed_jan_20@yahoo.com

27. Brad says:

so…i have a mac os mountain lion….we are still having trouble getting our IR pen to calibrate with WiiMote Whiteboard…any tips? We used your link above as the patch….it opens the software, but cannot calibrate…..helpppppp! should we just downgrade our OS?

28. Sean says:

We are having trouble calibrating with Mountain Lion, using the patch from above. We know that it isn’t an IR problem. We are wondering if using a wii remote with motion plus is an issue? Any help on why we can’t calibrate would be great.

29. chrispie says:

thank you uwe! i used your script to get the sphero site API running. it is using bluecove to connect to the sphero. i slightly had to change you script to have it run eclipse instead of the whiteboard: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=TgEcCW2G

cheers chris

30. Harshit says:

hey uwe could u just help me understand the code!! Need to make a projet on it!! I knw its too much to ask for!! Just a brief on how to begin with! Thanx a lott!!