42 / π ≈ 13.37

Wiimote Whiteboard

This program allows you to use the Wii Remote (Wiimote) to turn any surface into a Low-Cost Interactive Whiteboard. It is based on Johnny Lee’s original WiimoteWhiteboard program that is written in C# and available for Windows only. My program uses Java to allow for (some) platform-independence. I also provide a Mac-only version since I’m a Mac user and this is, up to my knowledge, currently the only such program for the Mac. For Windows only, Boon Jin has enhanced Johnny’s software and created the shareware program Smoothboard. There is also a SourceForge project that provides other implementations, but it is not getting much attention.

Check out the video and the other cool projects at Johnny Lee’s page if you have no idea what I’m talking about :) .

Features in a nutshell

• Open source
  • Runs on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux
  • Simple User Interface available in English, Estonian, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovene, and Spanish
  • Camera Monitor and Calibration Details for better Wiimote placement
  • Auto-connects up to 2 Wiimotes
  • Right-click support, double-click assistance
  • Mouse cursor smoothing
  • Screen selection
  • Touchpad Mode
  • Update notification
  • TUIO/OSC support for multitouch applications

More details in the Wiki.

Download (1.0.3)

Video

Documentation & Support

You can post your comments, bug reports, feature requests, etc. at the bottom of this page. The latest documentation is available in the Wiki. You can also find out how you can help.

The wiimoteproject.com forums are a great resource for everything Wiimote. You may use this subforum to discuss everything related to my software. The Smoothboard Wiki also contains useful information for setting up your interactive whiteboard.

Infrared pens

You need a source of infrared (IR) light to use the software. Many people build their own IR pens for that purpose, usually by retrofitting some sort of marker. You’ll find all you need to know here. I started with a simple IR pen made from a battery clip.

There are also IR pens for sale if you don’t want to build one yourself. Several vendors sell different models, the IR Pen marketplace is a good place to get an overview.

You can use the coupon code uwe if you buy from IRPensOnline.com. This will give you a discount of $2 and I’ll get $1.

Compatibility

I only heard of few problems on Mac OS X, using the built-in stack. I also got reports from users who got the program running on Windows using either the Widcomm or BlueSoleil stack. It seems like Widcomm works better, see this post about BlueSoleil. You need to use the BlueZ stack on Linux, see the Wiki or this post for further instructions.

Issue on PowerPC Macs (excerpt from the WiiRemoteJ-README):

Note for Mac OS X PowerPC (PPC) users: you will have to delete the Wii Remote from your previous devices list in System Preferences->Bluetooth->Devices after each connection (every time you connect a given Wii Remote). Even then, the outgoing connection will still fail every other time. There is some sort of bug relating to HCI devices and Apple’s library. Luckily, it was fixed for the Intel Macs.

Further details can be found in the Wiki or the help files bundled with the application.

1,431 Responses

1. Dafne Negrão e Jane Barbosa says:

Hello, we are having problem in connectivity with the wiimote whiteboard wiimote in the process of sending commands. Suggestion to solve this problem (And also unable to complete sending files via other mobile devices – eg, mobile). Thanks!

2. Caitlin says:

THIS DOESNT WORK FOR MAC 10.8……..

3. John says:

I’d love to see a version for Mountain Lion soon. I know I’d even be willing to support a Kickstarter project to that effect, if that’s what it took. I want to support an OS 10.8 version and be able to use this. Thank you,

-John

4. hilario says:

I couldn’t connect the wimote with my MacBook ,OSX version 10.8.2.

After installing WJoy 0.6 it worked fine , http://code.google.com/p/wjoy/

Anyone knows a whiteboard for mac “OSX version 10.8.2″

THX,
    hilario

5. mateo says:

do these programs work with both wiimote and wiimote plus?

6. Thibaut says:

Hi there,
    Thanks for the Mountain Lion fix. Wiimote Whiteboard now starts normally.
    However, I have been trying to connect a new (genuine) Nintendo Wiimote Plus to it, and the remote never connects to the mac. I have tried several times, including after a reboot. The log shows systematically:

FINE 08:24:28 WiiRemoteJ: Found Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR (2C10C1BC492E)
    FINE 08:24:28 WiiRemoteJ: Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR is NOT a known device.

The remote was NOT paired using MacOS Bluetooth utility. I eventually tried to pair it directly with the MacOS Bluetooth utility, and the remote was recognised by MacOS. I then removed the device from MacOS. After that, same log error as above about the Wiimote not being an unknown device…

My Wiimote batteries are charged (4 LEDs), I am using Mountain Lion 10.8.2, with the latest Java update by Apple (updated a few days back).

Any idea of what could go wrong?
    Advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Thibaut

7. Herre says:

Hello,
    do you think there will be a fix for Mac OS 10.8 ?

This is such a great tool…

Best regards,
    Herre

8. beth says: in reply to Ben Horton

Ben, Did you ever get a “fix” for 10.7.5?

9. Beth says: in reply to Uwe

Uwe,
    The patch works great for Mountain Lion. I am able to calibrate. At first, my ir didn’t recognize the full screen. I realized that the Wiimote Whiteboard screen 1 wasn’t set for 1024×768. After I reset my screen in my system preferences, it wasn’t until I rebooted everything that it worked. (I’m a little slow, so it took me an hour to figure that out.) Anyhow, thank you once again, Uwe! You ROCK!

10. Thibaut says: in reply to Thibaut

The software works perfectly under MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion with the patch. Thanks for the update.

Regarding the problem with my Wiimote that couldn’t connect, it seems that this is due to the new identification of the latest version of Nintendo Wiimote. These new wiimotes identify as RVL-CNT-01-TR (you can see that in the log window), which seems to confuse Wiimote Whiteboard and prevents it from connecting. Swapping my new Wiimote with an older one solved the connection problem, as the older ones identify as RVL-CNT-01 (with -TR at the end).

Therefore, BEWARE WHEN BUYING THE LATEST VERSION OF THE NINTENDO WIIMOTE, as these newer model won’t work with the current version of Wiimote Whiteboard!

This problem also seemed to confuse SmoothBoard, but the latest version of SmoothBoard fixes this issue, as seen here:

Thibaut

11. Uwe says: in reply to Uwe

Hi everybody,

I updated the app to work on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion out of the box, i.e. making the launch script obsolete. Please download and try this updated version and tell me if it works for you.

Thanks,
    Uwe

12. Orlando Valle says:

Uwe…you are awesome. Worked great. Thanks again for all of your hard work and patience with us all. We just love your application and could not wait to begin using it again.

13. Orlando Valle says:

One more question…is wiimote whiteboard capable of recognizing 2 ir pens simultaneously?

14. Herre says: in reply to Uwe

Hi Uwe,
    thank you for te great work!

The old patch version already worked great! Somehow i had some problems syncing this new version with the WiiControl. Even by using the red sync button in the battery compartment no succes, but after removing the batteries and putting them back suddenly the syncing worked. Tried it several times and it syncs perfectly.

Great job!

Thanks,
    Herre

15. Andy says:

This looks very promising. When I run it, I got “Pairing Request from: Nintendo RVL-CNT-01″ dialog and asked to enter the pairing code. I just ignored it, then dialog closes automatically and Wiimote connects with Bluetooth under Bluetooth Preference automatically. Then, I got “Connection failed. Please try again” message. How can I get it to pair with WiimoteWhiteboard?

Thanks,
    Andy

16. Beth says:

Uwe,
    Good to go! And yet again, THANKS! :)

17. Mofar says:

Hey. I don’t have a wiimote so is there ANY possible way to ummmm do it without and use something else like an emulator. I have everything except the wiimote and I do not want to get one. Worst come to worst I will buy one. PLEASE IF U HV ANY POSSIBLE WAY!!!!!!!

18. Jordan says:

Is there a way to allow the program to utilize a projector?

19. ruth says:

I am running Mac OS 10.7.5. When I touch the forth and last cross-hair on the calibration screen, my Mac screen goes black. pressing esc, spacebar, clicking on the screen, do not change it. I am unable to proceed. Any ideas?

20. marc says:

hi i tried to connect the wii remote on windows seven on a lenovo built in blue-tooth but i just get an error message saying “failed to connect, not supported on winsock” please help

21. CyberSam says:

Hi Marc,

I was wondering if your machine is a school laptop as I had the same problem with a school laptop owned by the DET (Dept of Eduction) in NSW (Australia) as I had the same problem as you with my laptop as it was locked by the DET.

Regards

Sam

22. Anonymous Helper says:

Hello. Wiimote guys..Actually the thing is we are having this Science exhibition in our state..Its probably a national one. One of the competitor is my friend and he too has devised this one of a kind Turn-Anything-Into-Touchscreen or something..Its identical to yours. He says that he devised it himself and probably someday he is going to patent it. I think its totally wrong..take someone else’s brilliant stuff and tell that its yours? Damn! Help me out here bro..I should have been in his place..He took away my chance wrongfully…So please do something. I would really be grateful if you help me out here. Thank you :) I am posting a contact no : 0361-2267768 it would be awesome if you could help me. Thanks.

23. sanath says: in reply to marc

hi i tried to connect the wii remote on windows seven on a acer aspire lap built in blue-tooth but i just get an error message saying “failed to connect, not supported on winsock” please help

24. Kyle says: in reply to Uwe

In case anybody else ends up here looking for stuff you should know that there are now two working alternatives that don’t involve this hack. The software had bugs, not the OS, so no need to patch the OS.

1. https://github.com/mameisam/DarwiinRemoteLives
    2. https://github.com/kronihias/DarwiinRemoteOSC

25. Abhas says:

When I connect my Wiimote to my Macbook Pro, it shows 2 Visible IR Dots without any IR source. Also whenever I use the IR Camera Monitor the dot moves only in the lower left hand side and doesn’t seem to go anywhere else except that region. What could possibly be the problem?

26. chase says:

I’m trying to use this with my macbook pro, but it won’t calibrate. my inferred pen works, but when i use it with the application…. I noticed my Ir camera monitor only has 2 visible dots but i have no idea what that means

27. Shivam says: in reply to Uwe

Тот что использовали в проекте по ссылке – High output inarerfd LED 5mm 1.2VDC 100mA 940nm * Radiant Intensity (mw): 7.368 * Peak Wavelength (nm): 940 * Forward Voltage (V): 1.28 * Half View Angle (Degrees): 6.364 штуки последовательно соединены и воткнуты в USB 5V без резистора. насчет марки затрудняюсь.

28. dmdmom says:

Has anyone tested this software with Windows 8?

29. max says:

the software on jonny lee’s website is not available for download. please help
    .. much appreciated

30. Bruno says: in reply to Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Can you help me?
    After run: “WiimoteWhiteboard.command” open window with this message:

LSGetApplicationForInfo() failed with error -10814